Labels

Friday, July 11, 2014

CO2 "Air" Guns

Crosman CO2 handguns
Two of my Crosman CO2 handguns & pellets

Most people realize that while CO2 guns are very similar to air guns they are powered by CO2 gas.  Most often the gas comes in the form of the little self contained 12 gram cartridges.

Crosman has probably made more CO2 powered guns than anyone and surely more variations. Daisy  has also produced a good variety, especially handguns.  Benjamin and others have made both rifles and handguns.

Some CO2's advantages:
  • Compact size - it doesn't require pumps, levers, big tanks... to work.
  • Easy operation - no need for heavy pumping or cocking.
  • CO2 power allows the guns to function more like traditional firearms. 
  • Quieter than firearms.
  • Good accuracy from many inexpensive guns. 
Some CO2 disadvantages: 
  • Generally more limited power than air guns. (most often 400 - 500 fps )
  • Limited number of shots. (40 - 50 shots typically per 12 gram cartridge)
  • Loss of power at low temperatures. (From rapid firing or low air temperatures)
  • Additional cost of the CO2 cartridges. (Around $.50 - $1.00 per cartridge)
Because of the characteristics of CO2, mostly simplicity and small size, it is most popular in handguns. Many handguns are made to look, feel, and function very much like some popular firearm.  Some even have slides which blow back in a way similar to ejecting a cartridge case on a firearm.

CO2 guns are a little under powered for small game hunting.  I've used CO2 handguns on close up birds, snakes, frogs, mice... with good results, but most often at less than 15 yards.

Longer barrels in handguns and rifles can improve the velocity/power level somewhat.  A few CO2 rifles achieve 600-700 fps. Some rifles use two 12 gram cartridges or the much larger 3.2 oz ones.

I'll add a more personal experience with the two guns pictured at the top of this page.  The single shot pistol was very accurate and reliable for about 40 years with little or no care.  The revolver was less accurate, but partially because when you fire more rapidly the CO2 gets cold and looses power.  The revolver lasted for more than 30 years with occasional use.

I usually carried the pistol along on fishing trips to a lake where there were numerous snakes in the springtime.  The pistol was accurate enough for head shots as far as I could make them. From my canoe I sometimes spent as much time shooting at snakes as fishing. I don't live close to that lake anymore. Today I take my slingshots with me when fishing and almost everywhere today.

The most fun I had with the revolver was shooting mice in a grain bin.  They would pop up out of the hay and give me quick shots, I missed often, but nailed a bunch of the little pest.

No comments:

Post a Comment