Labels

Friday, August 22, 2014

Cheap, Fun, BB Slingshot


home made slingshot
My Simple Creation with one band each side.

I never made a slingshot, in fact, I can't remember shooting one as a kid.

I had a bb gun and then a .22 rimfire.  I missed out on the joys of using a slingshot until I was middle age.

This slingshot was very simple to make. It took about ten minutes if you don't include the time to go and buy the rubber bands and little eyelet screws.  I made mine very small for easy carry, but it could be scaled up if desired.




What you'll need?
  1. An appropriate tree limb.
  2. Two small eyelet screws.  (Package of several at Walmart for about $1.)
  3. Two or more file bands.  (Good size package at Walmart for about $3.)
  4. Handsaw, knife, small screwdriver, maybe scissors if you must make the pouch. 
  5. A leather pouch. If you don't have a pouch it could be more of a challenge.  I know some people have made them from old shoes, belts, wallets... I haven't made any, but with the right kind of leather you would only need to cut out the shape and punch two holes. 
With two bands on each side. Click for larger image!














What I did:
  1. Walk in the back yard with a handsaw and cut an appropriate limb.   (Don't tell my wife!)
  2. Cut off/round off the ruff edges with my pocket knife.
  3. Spread the gap in the eyelet screws slightly by prying it with a thin screwdriver tip. (For easier band removal/replacement)
  4. Screw the two little eyelet screws into the limb ends. (One limb cracked slightly, so maybe drilling a slightly smaller pilot hole first would be a better ideal.)
  5. Attach the rubber bands to the pouch. (I had some old leather pouches.)
  6. Attach the rubber bands to the eyelets.
How does it work? 
  • Shoots Great! Much like any other slingshot.
  • Easier to pull and easier to change the bands on than most. 
  • One band on each side gives decent velocity for plinking. Especially with bb's.
  • Two bands on each side may be enough to take a close-up small pest or bird with bb's and maybe a little better with 1/4 inch steel ammo.
Advantages:
  • Great project to do with your kids or grandkids.
  • It's fun to shoot something you made yourself.
  • Simple, very little cost to make and continue to shoot. Especially if you use bb's, rocks... for ammo.
  • Quick and simple to replace or repair broken bands in the field.
  • You don't need to tie anything. (See the image below.)
  • The pouches should last a long time with the lower pull resistance.
Other:
  • I do get a little more hand slap with this very small slingshot.  
  • Since the rubber bands are relatively weak the hand slap doesn't bother me much.
  • If I'd made my slingshot bigger I'd try it with three bands on each side. Three bands could possibly propel bigger ammo with enough speed to hunt, I'm not sure.
Click to enlarge!
You don't need to tie anything!
  • Push the doubled/looped rubber band through one of the pouch holes an inch or two.
  • Push/pull the longer/other end through the big loop you just created where it went through the pouch hole.
  • Gently draw it up snug. (It should look like the on in the picture.)
  • Pull one strand of the rubber band through the slot in the screw eyelet. (You may want to stretch the band a little to make it thinner if your eyelet slot is narrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment