Labels

Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Best Air Guns


Books on Air Guns
Your best choice may be a little foggy with so many guns and gun types.
In recent weeks I've written individual post on the different types of air guns. I'll try not to repeat myself too much, so if you want more details please look back at some of those post.

Keep in mind that the best air gun for me, you, and the guy down the block are probably different. I'll work my way through each type of air gun (actually type of power plant) and offer some suggestions as to what may be the best uses for that type of gun.

Spring or Gas Piston: I'm starting with this group of guns because I believe they may offer the most to the largest group of shooters. Spring powered guns could include BB guns and some cheap clunky Chinese models, but that's not the guns I have in mind.

I'm talking about the group of guns which cost at least $100 and produce velocities of at least 600-700 fps in .177 caliber. Most of these guns actually are closer to $200 and are around 1000 fps in .177 caliber.

These are the best air guns for the house, the barn, or the truck to grab and use to take out some pest, do some hunting, or just go plinking when you feel like it. Simple, reliable, and with enough power and accuracy to get the job done.

If your main objective is occasionally shooting for fun choose a lower powered easier cocking model in .177 caliber. If hunting is high on your list, I'd make it a more powerful although harder cocking model. I'd prefer the gas piston in .22 caliber for hunting.

Pre-Charged: I see these guns as the guns for the more serious air gunners. These are generally not the guns you can grab and use without any preparation. With that said, these are the guns which can be the most capable of taking bigger pest and game at greater range.

These are the guns which may be able to stack pellets on top of each other at the greatest range and with the most impact. If I was planning to do some serious air gun shooting I'd go for one of these in .22 caliber.

CO2: These gas powered "air guns" are the fun guns. If you want to shoot in the backyard for fun or practice these could be your best choice. The CO2 cost extra, but it does the work so you don't need to do any heavy pumping or cocking.

Many of the guns are repeaters which function like firearm counterparts making them great for some kinds of practice. Most are 400-500 fps in .177 caliber so hunting is limited to a close up mouse or small bird occasionally.

Pump-Up: If you don't want to spend much money but you still want a gun capable of taking out some pest these guns can work. You pump these guns 2-3 strokes for lower power plinking or the full 8-10 strokes for better power and hunting... Some shooters are happy with this type of air gun, but I can't honestly say I'd recommend them for fun or hunting.

Single-Pump: While these are similar to the pump-up guns in many respects I can see more uses for them. The lower cost guns are also similar to most CO2 guns in that they can be great for backyard shooting. They do take a little more effort to cock or pump for a shot, but you don't need to buy the CO2,

The high-end guns are target guns capable of great accuracy. Even the best of these guns offer little to the hunter unless he wants to take out a wasp, a butterfly, or nail a mouse between the eyes at ten yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment